Monday, August 06, 2007

May 2007

I like to incorporate art, music, and other "make class more fun things" in my classroom. It often takes the English speaking pressure off, and the students find themselves learning without even realizing it. I also teach content like history, math, and science in English to keep from focusing on English grammar and to reinforce the other subjects. Here is an example of these teaching methods. The students researched famous explorers, created a report on the computer, made paper mache sculptures of the explorers, then presented it to the class.



May is a month with many celebration days. It includes Day of the Child, Day of the Student, Day of the Teacher, and Mother's Day.
For day of the Student we had a party at the school and then took all of the Regents School of Reynosa students to Carl's Jr. for hamburgers. Unfortunately in transit Opal (our cook) and I got a flat tire. She didn't know how to change it. So i just walked into and office building and announced to everyone in their cubicles, "Excuse me, We have a flat tire and we need to use the phone!" Opal was mortified, the people were surprised to see an American, and I sat pondering if I had pronounced "flat" correctly....I don't think I did, but they got the point and we got our tire changed.:) Unfortunately, by the time we arrived to the restaurant, our food was cold and the kids were exhausted and ready to go home. Oh well, at least I got a good story out of it. :)

Above: Irving, Erika, and Cristian

Mothers Day
Mother's day is a big deal in Mexico. I had no idea. The most we had ever done in school for this day was make a card and glue macaroni on it. No, in MX they do full programs 1-2 hours long....! I think it is greatly celebrated because of the important role the mom plays. The number of single moms in Mexico is astounding. Of all of our students, only 1 has his father present in his life. The mother is the one consistent parent figure in the home. I think this is why she is so honored on this day.
Here are photos of different songs, dramas, poems, and dances performed during the Mother's Day program. Oh, did I mention that I was elected the MC. What were they thinking?! Do they not realize my first language is NOT Spanish?





The last song brought tears to the mothers' eyes. Unfortunately it did so as well for those students whose mothers did not attend the event.


Teacher Day!
Were were honored with a special dinner and a day off! Can't beat that.
Here are the teachers: L to R Me, Mundo, Josefina, Ariceli, and director, Rodolfo.



For our day off Mundo, Came, Dorthea and I took off to the beach at Matamoras. It is about a 2 hour drive, depending how lost you get. I like the Mexican beach. Sure it is a little bit dirtier (not too much though), but most people wear t-shirts and shorts rather than bikinis! :) They are there to play in the water and eat! I think I was the only one "laying out" and boy did I pay for it later! Also, people come by with carts selling fresh coconut, mango, roasted corn, candy, sunglasses (and I needed those because I soon lost mine in a vicious wave), etc. This is my kind of beach experience.
Here I am with Abril. She decided she needed to come layout with me.



Below: Mundo is putting on the 50 sunblock and wondering how he let himself get in this situation with 4 women.


Also in May, my wonderful parents came to visit. It was nice to finally have someone see my life for what it is and understand why I love it so. :) Mom and Dad jumped right in there with their Spanish and presented different things to my class. The highlight was when my dad pulled out his sculptures to show the kids. I don't think they have ever seen "real art" before. Their expressions, ooo's and aaaa's, and the fact I saw one kid slipping the little raccoon in his shirt seemed to indicate it. It sure made my dad feel good. :)








I think the kids really responded to my parents because 1. They have heard so much about them from me. and 2. because my parents are the ideal example of what loving parents are. I think many of them live vicariously through my life and my family. I think that's OK, but I hope that seeing my parents encouraged them to know what God can do in a home where Christ is the center. Their lives and their future families can be just that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home